Monday, May 24, 2010

Student Blog | Student Life | Jamarr Royster


I never thought that I would end up at Chowan University or any university for that matter, but I believe there’s a reason why I’m here. I first came across Chowan because of my high school football coach. He explained that I should look into Chowan to try to walk on with the football team. Of course, that sparked my interest and I visited Chowan. What I didn’t expect was to fall in love with this university so quickly. I can’t stress enough how blessed I am to be here attending Chowan University!

When I arrived for the fall semester I felt like I had a new start to make friends and set academic goals. I recall my first dinner at Chowan: I sat by myself because I didn’t know anyone, but after about five minutes of sitting by myself a nice young lady approached me and asked why I was all alone. I simply shrugged and she insisted that I sit with her and her friends. “By the way I’m Rebecca,” she said. I didn’t know until later that night that she was the Student Government Association President at Chowan. I was thinking to myself how much she cared and she saw to it that I didn’t feel like an outsider. Before I knew it I had made a handful of friends.

I became active in various clubs at Chowan. I worked hard in and out of the classroom including Federal Work Study. “Faith in your future” is all I heard and it is a fact! I have one-on-one time with my professors and a lot of help from friends. I never expected to receive any of that attention because I figured they wouldn’t care but I was wrong.

Romans 12:12 says, “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” My blessings were going to come; all I needed to do was to be patient. Matthew 7:7 says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Sure enough, I’ve made even more friends and some very best friends!

I certainly stood out more in my second semester than I did first semester. I was now working out and practicing with the Chowan University Hawks Football Team. I’m a club officer and continue to be involved in several other on-campus organizations. I am currently working in Admissions as a tour guide and I love getting the chance to meet new friends and their families and showing them around my home away from home. I am very blessed to say that I’m a student at Chowan University and the Christian atmosphere that it portrays.

Philippians 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.”

In Christ’s strength,
Jamarr, Class of 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment